Recently we received a brilliant game to review, and the first question when we got all the pieces out of the box was “how to play Spintensity?”
Fin was particularly excited to play Spintensity, and luckily, once the instructions were digested, the game was super easy to set up for a quick start.
What Is Spintensity 5 Second Rule?
If you love nerve-wracking, fast-paced games, then Spintensity is for you.
You have to race against the clock to name three things in only 5 seconds.
Then when you’ve named your three, you press the timer which tells you what your next move is.
- Name 3 more
- Name 2 more
- Take a new card
- Move to the next player
The aim of Spintensity is to score the most points, and reach the finish first.
What’s In The Spintensity Box?
- Electronic, light up timer
- Start marker
- Finish marker
- 6 coloured pawns
- 200 x double-sided question cards (400 questions)
How To Play Spintensity
- First of all, you need to add 3 AAA batteries to the spinner.
- Place the spinner/timer in the middle of the table within reach of all players.
- Then, place the 200 cards on a table where all players can reach them easily. Decide which colour questions you are going to play. Green or blue. You can stack the cards in one pile, or scatter them around.
- All players must choose a coloured pawn and place it by start.
- Place the start and finish markers on the timer on the next player area.
- Choose who starts.
- The first player presses the timer.
- The timer will give 5 seconds to pick a card, then it must be read aloud, like “Name 3 cartoons.”
- If you need more time you can press the timer down but only before it turns flashing green. When the timer is paused it will show a yellow light.
- Now you’re ready to name your three things in 5 seconds.
- If the question was “Name 3 cartoons”, you could answer “Simpsons, Horrid Henry and Peppa Pig.”
- You then hit the timer before your 5 seconds are up.
- If you press the timer within 5 seconds, the button will turn green.
- The timer will then give you your next instructions, which will be:
- 2 more: name 2 more things for that same card,
- 3 more: name 3 more things for that same card,
- Next card: pick a new card and name three more things,
- Next player: play move to the right, and you win your card.
- When you finish your round successfully, you move your pawn round to the right by the amount of points (cards) you scored.
- If you fail to answer a card, or your time runs out, then play moves to the right and you have to discard your card. You also don’t move your pawn.
- Wait until the timer resets itself, and repeat until the first player reaches the finish!
Rules Of The Spintensity Game
- Some answers may be down to interpretation, and it’s up to the group as a whole to decide if the answers are acceptable or not.
- Make sure all players can reach the cards.
- Make sure the cards are of equal level. If you have younger players against one adult, you may want to do a little audit of the questions to make it fair.
- It’s useful for players to be able to read! If you have young players, you may need someone who’s role is to read the questions out for all players.
Our Spintesity Review
We all loved playing Spintensity! It was simple and fast-paces, but that requires a lot of focus!
Focus is not always easy with children, so I would definitely filter the cards based on the youngest player’s knowledge. Or make 2 piles of cards to avoid bust-ups 😀
Overall, Spintensity is an enjoyable game for an older family, and perfect for a group of adults who fancy a bit of fun around the dinner table.
Spintensity is available to buy at Argos, Smyths Toys and John Lewis.
How To Play Spintensity: Pin This For Later…
Last Updated on June 25, 2023 by Lucy Clarke